06 August 2011

Day 1

The tasks today were racing (or assigned) task for all classes up to the north into Texas Hill Country.  In the 15 m class we had a 340 km task that I was able to complete in 2:40 at just over 126 km/hr.  I think I heard of some speeds in the 130's in my class.  It was mostly blue today with the lift going to about 4000 AGL at launch time and by start time we were up to a more comfortable 6000 AGL.  On course we were able to get up to about 8000 AGL later in the day. Average lift was lower for me today at 4.8 kts.

I started with a pack of US pilots and was able to pass them about half way around the course.  This meant I was now on my own in the blue.  I was able to stay ahead of some of them, but I think some passed me on the final leg home.  At the point where I passed the group my task speed was 140 km/hr, but after a lowish point around the last turnpoint it dropped back to 112 km/hr.  I  need to look at my trace in more detail to see why it dropped so drastically!
 
Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment