17 January 2017

MS Day 4



After disappointing results from yesterday , I got a little bust for my self-esteem today .
Today we had a racing task of 484 km with the classic Australian weather - blue thermals up to 11,000 ft and 5-6 kt average  climb .Our class was the last to take off and our start was opened at 14:18 . After late start and land out as result from yesterday ,I decided to go on course without waiting for main group . I new that they will catch up with me , but I was wiling to sacrifice few minutes and connect  with the fast group .And that was exactly what happened - within 50 km after start I had 10 to 12 gliders joining and leaving in the thermals  .There is no big gaggles in the strong and fast days - speed of 100 kt and thermals of 5 to 8 kt will provide some separation  , so today I had groups of 5 to 7 gliders in the thermals during the whole flight and only 80 km from the finish I met the whole leading group of 15 gliders in the last thermal before the final glide . .9,000 feet was enough to get me home with the final glide speed  of 110kt and task speed of 129.4 km/h .
I was fourteen in the class - my best result so far .
 Sergei

1 comment: